Sunday, May 1, 2011

It's spring in Iowa, baseball is upon us

From Power Shots, Episode 2. My how time flies.


Always remember, it's hard to be better than your light. Shooting baseball at high noon on a sunny day means you're going to have a tough time picking out faces under the bill of the ballcap. Shooting in the evening light might be charming, but shooting backlit might have some challenges if you don't have a lens or camera that allows you to shoot into the shadows. 

Given the choice, I'm almost always going to choose backlit for my baseball because it allows for me to use that backlight to provide separation between the subject and the background. Baseball almost requires to you to be shooting through a screen or from a great distance. 

One of the ways I get separation between subject and background is by using an elevated angle (slightly) which uses some of the field as your background.


But I also like making photos that make you look twice. Here is former Iowa Cubs pitcher (now Chicago Cubs closer) Carlos Marmol, delivering a pitch to the plate. I manually focused on an imaginary point between pitcher and hitter and then shot with the 400mm lens at f2.8 (low depth of field, faster shutter) at 200 iso, at 1/8000th of a second. You can read the writing on the ball.

No comments:

Post a Comment