Sunday, March 20, 2011

Influences: Cubism and Basketball

I posted the bottom photo on the Photography Blog on the Des Moines Register site two weeks ago. But I wanted to go deeper. 
Art is about influences. Those who affect my work vary across disciplines, Seneca to Picasso, Homer to Buck Naked and the Bare Bottom Boys. Below is a genius work by Pablo Picasso, Bather with Beach Ball, painted in 1932. What works in this abstraction, for me, was the deconstruction of surfaces of the figure and proportion, but that he left some recognizable formal images to allow the eye to delight in not what it sees but feels.


So, I was sitting under the basket a the recent Boys State Basketball Tournament, in Des Moines, and tried to find the same type of abstraction: recognizable forms while allowing the flailing of the basketball players, going for a rebound, to become something other than human. This is just a beginning point for me, trying to abstract with the moving form, the sudden light of a strobes in the rafters giving evidence to humanity, the slow shutter speed making something quite different in it all. I'll keep you posted on progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment