Wednesday, March 23, 2011

And then it all went black.

I got a little cute last night while chasing powerful thunderstorms across southcentral Iowa. It was the west side of Winterset and a large, dark, swirling storm cell had passed just north of town. I chased it, watching menacing dark finger-like clouds, dipping down, but never turning into a tornado. 

On the way back into town I saw two large storm cells heading toward town from the southwest. I headed into town, but not before seeing this sight, between the storms, the sun setting over highway 92, heading west toward Greenfield. I stopped, shot into horizontal rain and then drove toward the orange globe.


Big mistake. The southern cell went north, the northern cell dipped south and collided right over me. Hail, wind and hell. Quite a night.


Quite a sight!

You can see more at the desmoinesregister.com
Go to the Photography Blog. 

1 comment:

  1. May be time to invest in a storm chasing vehicle? I may still remember how to weld...hmmmm....

    ReplyDelete